Students in the program have access to multiple rotation sites and have the opportunity to take part in a broad range of clinical placements.
As students gain experience, their role and responsibilities in the clinical setting will progress until they are ultimately able to counsel independently.
Note: All clinical rotations have been developed and are evaluated in accordance with the Practice-Based Competencies established by the Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling.
Students will participate in the following clinical rotations:
- Provincial Medical Genetics Program
- The Provincial Medical Genetics Program (PMGP) within the Department of Medical Genetics at the University of British Columbia serves as the main referral centre for genetic services in British Columbia. Based at BC Women’s Hospital, the PMGP sees approximately 5000 patients per year for a wide spectrum of indications and range from prenatal, pediatric to adult.
- Hereditary Cancer Program
- The Hereditary Cancer Program provides hereditary cancer services for the Province of British Columbia and the Yukon Territories with an annual patient volume of roughly 2000 appointments. Students have the opportunity to see a wide range of patients in the Vancouver, Abbotsford, and Surrey clinics and will gain experience in counselling through videoconference connections to patients in rural and remote areas.
- UBC Hospital Clinic for Alzheimer Disease and Related Disorders
- The UBC Hospital Clinic for Alzheimer Disease and Related Disorders (UBCH-CARD) is an out-patient, multidisciplinary clinic involving neurologists, geriatricians, a neuropsychiatrist, neuropsychologist, social worker, and genetic counsellor. Serving all of British Columbia, UBCH-CARD provides assessment, treatment, and support for individuals with Alzheimer disease (AD) and other neurodegenerative memory disorders.
- Fetal Diagnosis Service Clinic
- The Fetal Diagnosis Service Clinic is a multidisciplinary clinic made up of physicians from Medical Genetics, Maternal Fetal Medicine and Pediatrics, along with sonographers and genetic counsellors. Based at BC Women’s Hospital, the service assists women and their families when an abnormality has been detected on a prenatal ultrasound exam. The clinic works collaboratively to provide rapid and accurate diagnosis of fetal abnormalities, and management planning.
- Diagnostic Ambulatory Program
- The Diagnostic Ambulatory Program (DAP) at BC Women’s Hospital is a multidisciplinary clinic involving Perinatologists, Pediatric Cardiologists, Radiologists, Sonographers, and Registered Nurses. DAP provides service, education, and research in diagnostic ultrasound, fetal assessment, and prenatal procedures for pregnant women across British Columbia.
Opportunities for a rotation in fertility clinics, the Psychiatric Genetic Counselling Service, the BC Inherited Arrhythmias Clinic, and the Translational Psychiatric Genetics Group are also available.
Students will also gain a thorough understanding and familiarity with laboratory processes and techniques through a variety of different teaching methods including observation, problem-based learning modules, and hands-on experience. Laboratory rotations include:
- Cytogenetics Laboratory Module
- Laboratory Genetic Counsellor Module
- Molecular Genetics Laboratory Module
- Biochemical Genetic Diseases Laboratory Module
- Prenatal Biochemistry Laboratory
Students in their second year will have the opportunity to choose elective rotations in multidisciplinary inter-professional clinics based at various locations, including BC Children’s Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver General Hospital, the Children and Family Research Institute and private fertility clinics. These may include (but are not limited to):
- Adult Metabolic Clinic
- Adult Cardiac Function Clinic
- Assisted Reproductive Technologies/Fertility Clinic
- Biochemical Diseases Clinic
- Centre for Huntington Disease
- Cleft Lip and Palate Clinic
- Craniofacial Clinic
- Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
- Hemoglobinopathy Clinic
- Hemophilia Clinic
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Spinal Cord Clinic
- Translational Psychiatric Genetics Group