When positions are funded by grants, hospital operating budgets, etc., these funding sources are responsible for all compensation issues for these employees including salary, benefits, severance, etc. It is therefore important to plan financially for the funding of these positions, including balancing the FTE with the funding available and consideration for the amount of notice employees are entitled to for funds that will end in the future.
Some items to note :
- the current salary scales listed on the HR website are subject to change due to contract negotiations, salary market surveys, etc.. and therefore you may want to build in a buffer
- there are salary progression issues to consider with the various employee groups: CUPE 2950 (3 steps), Technicians (to be at mid-point salary by end of 2nd year) and M&P staff (must be at mid-point by the end of their 4th year)
- there are benefit costs on top of all of these salaries
- the salary scales listed for the Genetic Counselor group is only a range for UBC’s grid; salary levels and salary progression for this group of employees in Medical Genetics is equivalent to the C&W salary scales (contact the Department Administrator for more information if you are considering including a Genetic Counselor in your grant proposal)
- Benefit costs – UBC finance has now set up a benefit calculator to assist with benefit costing. Just as the salary scales are subject to change, the benefit costs are also subject to change due to contract negotiations, changes in compulsory benefit costs (EI, WCB, CPP) etc. and therefore, the benefit calculator provides approximate benefits costs. See http://www.finance.ubc.ca/payroll/calculators/benefitscostcalculator.cfm
- Many investigators include the cost of a Technician in grant applications. Recent negotiations for salaries included: All Technicians receiving General Wage Increases of 2% per year on July 1, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. In addition, Technician 4 and 5 will receive market increases of 0.5% on July 1, 2006 and 2007 and 0.75% on July 1, 2008 and 2009.
- Most Technician positions in Medical Genetics are classified at the Tech 3 or Tech 4 level.