Applicants with interests in the investigative areas listed below have an opportunity to pursue world class research in labs affiliated with the Medical Genetics Graduate Program. MSc and PhD applicants for the September intake will be considered for the new Medical Genetics Rotation Program.
AREAS OF RESEARCH INCLUDE:
- Cancer Genetics & Genomics
- Clinical Genetics, Genetic Counselling and Ethics & Policy
- Developmental Genetics & Birth Defects
- DNA Repair & Genome Stability
- Epigenetics, Epigenomics & Gene Regulation
- Genetic Epidemiology & Population Genetics
- Genomics & Bioinformatics
- Neuroscience & Neurodegenerative Disease Genetics
- Stem Cells & Gene Therapy
Individual labs conduct clinical and/or translational research and basic experimental research engaging a wide variety of approaches including the use of model organisms such as mice, flies (D. melanogaster), worms (C. elegans), and yeast (S. cerevisiae).
RESEARCH STRENGTHS AND FACILITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- The Department of Medical Genetics Graduate Program is a leading program attracting students from all over Canada and the world.
- The program offers Master’s and Doctoral programs.
- Study in Vancouver, one of the world’s most livable cities, at locations affiliated with the University of British Columbia, an institution which is consistently ranked among the world’s best universities.
- Faculty members in the Department of Medical Genetics are at the forefront of their fields, employing cutting edge genetic, genomic, epigenetic, and bioinformatic methodologies to gain insight into diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, neurodegenerative and neurological disorders, and other genetic diseases.
- Researchers in the Department are highly interactive and collaborate with local, national, and international colleagues, which further enriches the research experience for trainees.