This position’s primary purpose in the lab will be to lead epigenetic and genetic experiments using Illumina array and sequencing platforms, and the Sequenom mass array platform. The position will instruct and supervise technicians and mentor graduate students.
This is a full-time grant funded position with the University of British Columbia, Centre for Molecular Medicine & Therapeutics.
This position will play a leadership role in the Kobor lab, and will be reporting directly to Dr. Michael Kobor who is the primary investigator of the laboratory. The position will directly supervise several technicians and graduate students.
- Management and supervision of technicians;
- Recruitment and training of technicians;
- Mentoring and supervision of graduate students;
- Management of the team using the Illumina and Sequenom platforms;
- Performing regular reviews of the relevant literature;
- Planning and designing of projects and single experiments;
- Analyzing, interpreting and compiling data in study reports, presenting results, and participating in the preparation of scientific manuscripts and grant application packages;
- Management of multiple interdisciplinary collaborations with academic institutions and industry, locally, nationally and internationally;
- Updating Dr. Kobor and the group on the status of projects during lab meetings, in email correspondence and phone conferences;
- Performing other related duties
- PhD degree in the biosciences
- At least 4 years experience in laboratory research involving genome technologies infrastructure
- Experience in running microarrays, preference for DNA methylation arrays
- Experience in using the Sequenom mass spectrometry platform
- Experience in mentoring and supervising students and technicians
- Extensive knowledge of Molecular Biology, biochemistry and genetics
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and data bases
- Proven ability to multi-task in a deadline oriented environment with minimal supervision
- Effective oral and written communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skill and ability to learn new skills quickly
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail required
- Candidates should demonstrate the ability to work in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
How to Apply
Exceptional candidates should submit a cover letter outlining your research interests and fit with the laboratory’s research, curriculum vitae, and the names of three referees willing to provide letters of reference.
Please send all applications electronically to Tanya Erb at email@example.com by February 19, 2015 at 4:30pm PST.
Due to the number of resumes we receive, we are unable to confirm receipt of submissions over the phone, or provide the status of the competition. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.