Applications that are not completed by the deadline will not be reviewed.
Applicants are to self-assess their eligibility for the Medical Genetics Graduate Program. A competitive applicant to the MSc or PhD degree programs should meet all of the following:
Grade Point Average (GPA):
- Check your COUNTRY of education for minimum GPA and length of degree program to determine if your credentials meet UBC admission requirements.
- GPA is based on the final, overall standing (grade) achieved in your last completed degree.
Recent, advanced-level courses in:
- Molecular Biology
- Biostatistics (statistics)
- Relevant laboratory research experience
- Excellent references with assessment of research expertise and aptitude.
Note: Applicants with medical degrees generally do not qualify for this Program as they lack advanced-level coursework in genetics and related laboratory research training.
See Frequently Asked Questions for answers to questions such as:
Do I need to find a supervisor before applying? Who to choose as an appropriate referee? etc.
English Language Proficiency Requirement:
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit a TOEFL (academic, not general) or an Academic IELTS test score.
- Applicants with degrees from countries such as Europe, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, China, Africa, etc., where English is not the primary language, must submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score, even if the degree was taken in English.
- Applicants whose most recent degrees are from countries where English is the primary language (i.e. Canada, USA, UK, Australia, etc.) are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score.
- Official TOEFL and IELTS test reports must be written within the last two years.
- Applicants must have completed writing their TOEFL/IELTS tests by the admissions application deadline
Medical Genetics Graduate Program Minimum Test Scores for MSc and PhD Applicants:
|TOEFL||22||25||22||22||100 / 120|
|IELTS||6.5||6.5||6.5||6.5||7.0 / 9.0|
IELTS: The minimum requirement is an overall band of 7.0 (out of 9.0) with no band below 6.5.
The Medical Genetics Graduate Program does not extend a conditional offer of admission to applicants who do not currently meet the minimum English language proficiency requirement.
If your TOEFL/IELTS test score is below the minimum required by this Program, your application will likely be rejected.
If you meet the above admission requirements, proceed to: