2018W MEDICAL GENETICS COURSES
- MEDG 419: Developmental Origin of Human Disorders
- MEDG 420: Human Genomics and Medical Genetics
- MEDG 421: Genetics and Cell Biology of Cancer
- MEDG 448: Directed Studies (4th year undergraduates)
- MEDG 505: Genome Analysis
- MEDG 520: Advanced Human Molecular Genetics
- MEDG 521: Molecular and Cellular Biology of Cancer
- MEDG 530: Human Genetics
- MEDG 535: Genetics and Ethics
- MEDG 545: Current Topics in Medical Genetics Research (Journal Clubs)
- MEDG 548: Directed Studies (Graduate Students)
- MEDG 549: Thesis Course (MSc)
- MEDG 649: Thesis Course (PhD)
Program Requirements and Expectations
- MSc students: 18 credits plus MEDG 549.
- PhD students (BSc entry): 18 credits plus MEDG 649.
- PhD students (MSc entry): 9 core credits – MEDG 520, 530, and 548 – and electives recommended by their supervisor. Some course requirements may be waived based on previous coursework with permission from the Supervisor and the Graduate Advisor.
- MSc and PhD students in the Medical Genetics Graduate Program are expected to obtain a grade of 75% or higher in each of the core courses MEDG 520, 530, and 548.
- Students lacking the statistics (biometrics) requirement may be required to make up this deficiency during their first year in addition to the required graduate course load.
- Incoming MSc and PhD students must complete courses during the first two terms of their program. Students required to take additional courses after their first year (including auditing a course) must receive permission from their Supervisor, the Supervisory Committee, and the Medical Genetics Graduate Advisor.
- Students must consult with their research supervisor prior to registering in elective courses.
- Students register for elective courses through the Student Service Centre at ssc.adm.ubc.ca.
- If MEDG 419 and 420 are full, a few extra seats may be added for Medical Genetics graduate students on request.
- Students may take up to six credits of undergraduate courses (300 and 400 level, MEDG and non-MEDG courses).
- Students registering for non-MEDG (undergraduate and graduate) courses should contact the department offering the course directly as early registration may be required to secure a seat in such courses.
- MEDG 545 is a two-term, 3-credit course for first year students. Journal Clubs are located at the C&W site and on UBC campus and are attended by students, post doctoral fellows and faculty. Medical Genetics students should email the Journal Club Coordinator for permission to attend, then forward the email to email@example.com for registration.
Non-Medical Genetics Students
- Non-Medical Genetics students may take MEDG 545 (Journal Club) with permission from their Supervisor and the Journal Club Coordinator.
- Non-Medical Genetics students may take MEDG 548 (Directed Studies) if their supervisor has an appointment in the Department of Medical Genetics.
- Undergraduates may take MEDG 448 (Directed Studies) under the supervision of a Medical Genetics faculty supervisor. Please contact potential research supervisors directly.
- Non-Medical Genetics students taking MEDG 448 / 548 / 545 must submit a Permission to Register form. Email form to firstname.lastname@example.org.