RESEARCH SUPERVISOR REQUIREMENTS
Do you need to secure a research supervisor before applying?
- MSc and PhD September-start applicants are NOT required to secure the commitment of a Research Supervisor before submitting an application to the Medical Genetics Graduate Program. However, you should start the process of contacting potential supervisors early. And, if deemed admissible to this Program, you must secure the commitment of a supervisor before an offer of admission will be made.
- PhD applicants should apply for the January-start only if they expect to receive final grades (if applicable) by June 1st AND they have secured the commitment of a research supervisor by the application deadline. Once these conditions have been met, the Admissions Committee will then review and rank the application to determine if the applicant meets the Program requirements before making an offer of admission to the applicant.
Who are potential supervisors?
- The Program does not maintain a list of supervisors who are accepting new students. Applicants should review Faculty Research Summaries and Potential Supervisors (note: some profiles may not be current).
By what date do you need to finalize the commitment of a supervisor?
- Applicants will be notified by the Program if their application has been deemed admissible by the Admissions Committee. The applicant must secure the commitment of a Medical Genetics research supervisor before receiving a final offer of admission to UBC.
- September-start admissible applicants must secure the written commitment of a research supervisor by June 1st.
- PhD January-start admissible applicants must secure the written commitment of a research supervisor by the application deadline.