Applicants are to self-assess their eligibility for the Medical Genetics Graduate Program. A competitive applicant to the MSc or PhD degree programs should meet all of the following:
Grade Point Average (GPA):
- Check your COUNTRY of education (for minimum GPA and length of degree program) to determine if your credentials meet UBC admission requirements.
- GPA is based on the final, overall standing (grade) achieved in your last completed degree.
Recent, advanced-level courses in:
- Statistics (biometrics)
- Relevant laboratory research experience
- Excellent references with assessment of research expertise and aptitude
- Most applicants with medical degrees do not qualify for this Program as they generally lack coursework in genetics and related laboratory research training.
English Language Proficiency Requirement:
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit a TOEFL or academic (NOT general) IELTS test score.
- Applicants with degrees from countries such as India, Pakistan, China, Africa, etc., where English is not the primary language, must submit a TOEFL or academic (NOT general) IELTS test score, even if the degree was taken in English.
- Applicants whose most recent degrees are from countries where English is the primary language (i.e. Canada, USA, UK, Australia, etc.) are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score.
- Official TOEFL and IELTS test reports must be written within the last two years. Applicants currently writing the TOEFL/IELTS tests must have completed their tests by the admissions application deadline.
- TOEFL scores – request the test centre to transmit your score electronically to UBC. The UBC institution code is 0965.
- ACADEMIC (NOT general) IELTS scores – specify the following information on the IELTS application form:
- Name of the institution: The University of British Columbia
- Name of person/department: Graduate School Admission
- Address: 170-6371 Crescent Road, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
- The Medical Genetics Graduate Program does not extend a conditional offer of admission to applicants who do not currently meet the minimum English language proficiency requirement.
Medical Genetics Graduate Program Minimum Test Scores for MSc and PhD Applicants:
|TOEFL||22||25||22||22||100 / 120|
|IELTS||6.5||6.5||6.5||6.5||7.0 / 9.0|
IELTS: The minimum requirement is an overall band of 7.0 (out of 9.0) with no band below 6.5.
Applicants upload the following documents to their online application form by their deadline:
- Statement of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official post-secondary transcripts (include one copy of the grading / marking key)
- Degree certificate(s) (if applicable)
- TOEFL or Academic (NOT general) IELTS test score (if required)
Do NOT submit the following:
- Paper versions of your transcripts to the Medical Genetics Graduate Program (See FAQs for more information)
- High school certificates
- University workshop certificates
- References from postdoctoral fellows or character references
- More than three references
Applications that are not completed by the deadline will not be reviewed.
See FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS page for information about:
Who should apply, when to apply, how to apply, what is required when you apply, and more!